2010 SUMMER NSERC UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT RESEARCH AWARDS (USRA)
Program Guidelines and Application Procedures
ABOUT THE NSERC USRA – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Purpose: To provide research work experience that complements the degree program which will encourage students to consider graduate studies and pursue careers in natural sciences and engineering.
Award Value: $4,500/award with a minimum 25% supplement (i.e., $1,125)
Ÿ Any supplement above this level may be set at the department’s or supervisor’s discretion.
Ÿ Sources for supplements: NSERC grants, other research funds (non-NSERC) and university sources
Duration: 16 full consecutive weeks – please note:
Ÿ Applicants are required to find their own research supervisor – to find out what research is being done in the ECE Department, please go to http://www.ece.utoronto.ca/research.htm and contact the faculty members that you are interested in working with, to see if they would agree to sponsor your application.
Ÿ Students MUST commit to working the full 16 week duration of the award
Ÿ No provision for sick leave or other interruptions of awards. Awards may not be deferred. All efforts must be made to give the awards to students who can complete or commit to a 16-week work term.
Tenure at Another Location: Quotas are not transferable from one university to another. Students may apply at any eligible university. The supervisor must be a faculty member at the university where the student holds the USRA.
Departmental Deadline: TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9th, 2010.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR STUDENTS & SUPERVISORS
| Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.|
§ A USRA is intended to be over and above the academic credits needed for a degree, similar to a co-op placement. It may be held concurrently with a co-op placement.
§ USRA holders are not permitted to take courses during working hours or to do thesis research throughout the work term.
§ Students who hold university USRAs may spend a maximum of 25% of their time at a company location during the term of the award.
§ A student may hold only one USRA per fiscal year.
§ A student may hold a maximum of three (3) USRAs throughout his/her university career.
| Holders of one or more of the following NSERC research grant(s.|
§ Postdoctoral fellows, graduate or Ph.D. students are NOT eligible supervisors.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR STUDENTS
1. Complete the latest version of the application form, Part 1, online. Part 2 should be completed by the supervisor. Note that the form cannot be submitted to NSERC electronically.
2. Follow the instructions on completing the form and adhere to NSERC’s General Presentation Guidelines:
Print must be in blank ink. HANDWRITTEN APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Text must be single-spaced, with no more than 6 lines per inch.
Accepted font: Times New Roman, 12 pts or any comparable font. Condensed type is not acceptable.
Applications which do not follow these guidelines will be returned.
3. Print, sign and submit the hard copy of the completed form to the department Undergraduate Coordinator along with your most current original transcript. The application must bear your original signature.
1. All applications must bear the original signatures of the students, supervisors and the Chairs. Electronic or digital signatures will not be accepted by NSERC.
2. Submit the following by February 9, 2010 to the ECE Undergraduate Studies Office:
§ Form 202 (Parts I & II) of all nominees
§ original transcripts
3. Do not include letters of applications or any other documents with the package.